Pittsburgh Pennsylvania History
Pittsburgh is located on the western edge of the rolling hills of Allegheny County in western Pennsylvania. Pittsburgh, also known as Boxburg, is a city in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, USA, and is the county seat of Alleg Pittsburgh County. It is one of three major cities in Pennsylvania with a population of over 1.5 million.
Pittsburgh is located at the point where the Allegheny and Monongahela rivers meet and turn into the Ohio River. It is the largest city in the United States and the second largest in Pennsylvania, reflecting its location on the western edge of the rolling hills of western Pennsylvania. Pittsburgh is a large city with a population of over 1.5 million people and is located in the west. The point where the Pittsburgh River and its tributary, the Monongah River, meet and become an Ohio River marks the place that Pittsburgh would become, as well as the location of its city.
George Washington and Christopher Gist crossed the area that is now part of East Pittsburgh during the American Revolutionary War in the early 17th century and the Battle of Pittsburgh.
The threat of Native American attacks remained real from 1794 to 1795, and citizens reinforced the surrounding hills around Pittsburgh. In 1797, the state road from Pittsburgh to Washington, PA was built and fortifications were erected on the Harrisburg side of Susquehanna. The Turnpike initially connected Pittsburgh and Harrisberg, but later extended to the western border. Stagecoaches, which later ran the line in 1874, and the Pennsylvania Railroad built a station in East Pittsburgh, and a trolley line was extended into the city.
While the rest of the country seized land for tribal communities, Pittsburgh did the same with the help of its own government.
When America expanded westward in the early nineteenth century, Pittsburgh was no longer so trading. As the population west of Pittsburgh grew, it began to challenge Pittsburgh as a supply point on the border. It became obvious that the French Empire should not be driven out of the Ohio Valley, and with the growing population of New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and other states, the need to drive them out grew. Pittsburgh was no longer important to the supply chain along the border, but it was still an important trading center in itself.
When the Pennsylvania government opened a land office in Pittsburgh in 1769, the claim was legalized. Virginia and Pennsylvania fought over ownership of Pittsburgh, but a joint commission settled the dispute in Pennsylvania's favor in 1785. As transportation improved, the population grew, and Pittsburgh was incorporated as a city in 1816. The voters of Pittsburgh and Allegheny voted against consolidation, with Pittsburgh for consolidation and Pittsburgh against Alleghenies.
The Pittsburgh Academy was founded in 1787 and the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette in the following year. It was founded in 1869 as Pennsylvania Female College and then renamed Pennsylvania College for Women.
The Pittsburgh Trust and Savings Company was founded in 1845 and remains a fixture in the city today. In 1865, Andrew Carnegie opened the Pittsburgh Locomotive and Car Works, which produced cars for industry until 1919. In the early 20th century, Pittsburgh supplied about half of all steel to the United States. Mass production continued until the collapse of the steel industry in World War II and the Great Depression.
Pittsburgh was the eighth largest city in the country, accounting for a third to half of the nation's steel production. In the 1970s, Pittsburgh would have had the distinction of being the largest steel city in the United States and the second largest in Europe.
Three interconnected factors have made Pittsburgh the nation's steel capital: the Bessemer process, the railroad and Andrew Carnegie. Pittsburgh's coking wealth dates back to the mid-19th century, but it has always outweighed its wealth in other areas of the economy.
By 1865, Pennsylvania had built a network of subsidiary lines throughout the state and expanded its lines to become one of the largest railroads in the United States and the second largest in Europe. The camp site of Mr. Island became the rest stop of the Pittsburgh Junction Railroad, which connected him with the Pennsylvania, Baltimore and Ohio railroads. In the same year, Pittsburgh built a 170-ton brigade, the Dean, to sail from Pittsburgh to Mississippi, the Atlantic and Liverpool. Drives opened in 1884, just a few years after the opening of the first steel mill in Pittsburgh.
There is no surviving copy of the land - the estate agent's account of Mr. Island's life, but there are a few surviving copies of his letters to his wife and other family members.
This woodcut map was called the first map of Pittsburgh after General Forbes' army took control of the Forks of Ohio in November 1758 and renamed it Pittsburgh. At the time, it was called Pittsburgh, but became known as the "Gateway to the West" because it was a transit point for those heading west. On December 1, 1758, the ruins of Fort Duquesne were officially renamed and the settlers moved into the Northwest Territory. It became the center of a large settler population that moved west from New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ohio and other states.